Thursday, May 28, 2009


This is NOT funny. Not funny at all. But does anybody see anything ironic about this box labeled "Live Baby Chicks"? These are in fact, 23 dead chicks. I hope nobody is offended by this morbid post.

John has been telling us that a "surprise" would be coming in the mail and to be sure to rush to the post office the minute we got the phone call, which came first thing this morning.

I got the kids ready as fast as I could and loaded seven children into the car (my five plus my niece and nephew who stayed with us last night). How quickly the mood turned from excitement and anticipation to extreme disappointment and sadness for all of us. When we opened the box, this is the surprise we saw. Apparently the package got misrouted and arrived two days late. :( So sad.

Three little survivors however remain and have perked up significantly after being dropper fed water and little bits of chick food. Meanwhile a replacement box of "live baby chicks" have already been sent. We will be praying for a very speedy delivery.

12 comments:

Me said...

oh no!! that's just horrible! I bet the kids were terribly upset to see that...I know *I* would be.

Larsen Family said...

That is soooo sad. My kids would have been devestated. At least there were some survivors. They are so cute and fluffy.

Amy said...

What a major bummer... poor little chicks! Hopefully, the next box will be full of life!!

grammygwen said...

This is so sad. I hope that you filed a complaint with the post office. I worked for the postal service for almost 19 years and this makes me very angry. I remember hearing live chicks in their crates sitting on the docks waiting for their next stop many times. Praying for a safe delivery next time.

Pan Cratius said...

Those three that remain are REAL survivors, let's hope they survive the dog Nellie now..

Meredith said...

So sad, and, well... EWW.... I'm amazed that some survived though! Praying the next batch is ok!

Jennifer said...

Oh, that's AWFUL! I would have been traumatized, can't even imagine the kids... So sorry that happened!

kirsten said...

That is sooooo sad! Are your kids ok???

Beth said...

That is horrible! I am glad you had at least some survive.

On a lighter note, at least you now know which came first. Obviously, the chicken.

Ssejors said...

Thats Awful!! I sure hope that the next batch makes is safe and sound. What will you do with the ones that didn't make it?

Anonymous said...

Keep the cat AWAY from the chickens!

You can give a cat a bath. He won't like it and you wouldn't want to do it very often. You can also get flea drops to put on him. (fleas in the house can be very hard to get rid of) They make a heartworm/flea med that is combined. (from the vet)
The cat is a cutie. I just feed my cat dry food (not stinky canned stuff). She's fine with it.

Jan

Melissa Mc said...

I would get the flea meds from the vet. The OTC kinds don't work as well and have made my cat sick before. I love cats (my kids call me the crazy cat lady) so if you have any other questions let me know:)