Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer recap

I love my brother and sister-in-law's motto: "Work hard-Play hard."

We have been doing a whole lot of both this summer. Here are a few of the highlights.

*By the way, some of you have asked my why I've been so scarce this summer. Let me tell you it is not because there haven't been plenty of things to blog about it. I haven't been blogging for several reasons:
1. Picasa is not my friend right now.
2. My kids hog my computer all the time.
3. Most days when I get a free minute I have opted to read some great books instead of getting on the computer. Last night finished Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. Are you proud of me Dad?
4. Homeschool planning.
5. House projects.
6. Potty training.
7. Child disciplining. As my grandma always said, "Parenting ain't for sissies!" Isn't that the truth!

Anyway......back to the photos. Here are a few of my favorite photos from Simeon's trip to the jungles of Mexico. I am thankful my parents took these because I know he will appreciate them someday. I know each of these photos have some big historical significance. You'll have to ask Simeon to tell you all about each one.


I believe this is a soccer field, where the winners of the games were honored by being sacrificed to the gods.





Liesel is spending the lasts two weeks of her summer in Minnesota with my brother and family. I talked to her last night and she said she is only a 'little bit' homesick and is having a really fun time. Who wouldn't...they have taken her tubing, waterskiing, picnicking, out for sushi, and roller coasting riding at the Mall of America. I won't be surprised if she never wants to come back home!



Here is from Jude's fishing trip with his dad. We enjoyed the fruits of their labor, yummy trout (Thanks Alice for the recipe!)

We have been ripping up carpet...

Painting bedrooms......

Remodeling the kitchen....



Hanging around in our swimsuits...

Growing some yummy squash, watermelon, okra, onions, and basil. Nothing else did very well, I suppose from the extreme heat.


Joseph is John's BEST garden helper! Seriously! 
Right after I snapped this photo I got sprayed, and decided never again will I use an $800 camera to take a close up photo of Joseph and a water hose!

The girls have been doing lots of crafts (and usually right afterwards Joseph rips them into shreds.


With 3 six year olds and a seven year old in the house, we have had frequent  visits from the tooth fairy. I always love when they lose their bottom teeth, they still look so cute and little. But something about my kids losing their top teeth always makes me sad. Once they start losing their top teeth, it seems like the attitudes start kicking in, and they no longer climb in bed with me in the mornings to snuggle, no longer crawl on my lap to tell me they love me for no particular reason. Why is that? I called my sister and cried about this. Adult teeth mean adulthood is approaching, and that means they will soon be gone. Am I overanalyzing this? LOL My sister graciously reminded me that at least two kids will always be around, keeping me from truly having to experience Empty Nest Syndrome. ha. Thanks for that!






7 comments:

Stephanie said...

All of your children are beautiful, but OMGoodness, Zoya took my breath away. She looks so good!!! What a little love and nutrition will do for you. Good job, Mom!
Stephanie Carmichael
P.S. What orphanage are Joseph and Zoya from?

Charissa said...

Thank you Stephanie! They are from Berizka, Orphanage #5.

mom2four said...

Yay, Yay, Yay, so glad to get your update! It sure HAS been a busy summer for you all. If you run into any problems with the remodeling give us a call :) It's David's specialty ;)

ErinL said...

I miss you...I miss Zoya...I miss your whole family!

Oma said...

If Simeon looks sad in that picture, he isn't! The mosquitos ate us all up and some days was miserable! He was a great sport and we loved having him here in Mexico with Opa and Oma. Great memories!!

Timothy said...

Yes, I am very proud of your reading the life of Frederick Douglass.

Cammie Heflin said...

Missed you so much my friend! So glad for the update!