Monday, August 3, 2009

News and changes

This year, Ava will be attending The Little Lighthouse, a christian preschool in Tulsa for children with special needs. It is really a wonderful place! I really enjoyed volunteering there when I was in college. Who would have thought then that my own daughter would be a student there 20 years later!

Parents are required to help raise money for the school as it receives no federal or United Way funding. It is operates 100% on donations from the community. Nothing stresses me out more than having to ask people for donations! I was thinking about getting a t-shirt made for Ava that says, Rub My Head for a Donation to The Little Lighthouse. Do you think that would work? Ava's bald head has gotten us free cookies, free meals, and some pretty significant discounts. Maybe it would get us some donations to The Little Lighthouse as well, ha.


Anyway, this change has brought about some other changes as well. We're going to be taking a break from homeschooling this year, although I'm not sure having 5 kids in 4 different schools should be considered taking a break! There was no way around this, as I now have a preschooler, 2 elementary students, a middle school student (did I just type middle school-oh my!), and a special needs student. Wow, I feel dizzy just thinking about how I am going to manage to get everyone where they need to be. Trust me, homeschooling would be way easier! I know the Lord will help me get through it. So thankful for my van and new iphone (Thanks Honey!). Now I just need to figure out how to download audio books and I can finally get some "reading" done.

We have been trying to get lots of fishing in before school starts. I love this picture of Hope in a dress sitting on a salt lick using worms for bait. She loves to fish and she is good at it. You should see her cast! Her brothers used to make fun of her Barbie fishing pole but not anymore.

Poor Nelly. We have been blaming her for the chickens that keep turning up missing. Since she has been tied to the porch, the chicken mystery has gotten more mysterious. Two nights ago there was a massacre in the henhouse. Nine chickens were found dead, and a few more missing. And sweet Nelly was tied to the porch the whole night. Who knew raccoons could peel back chicken wire and can even climb up doors carrying their victims in their teeth. I guess Nelly is innocent after all. I do like that dog.

And Gideon? Well it turns out he plays with mice more than he eats them. But he is very sweet and entertaining and he doesn't mind staying outside so we think we'll keep him anyway.


20 comments:

alicia said...

at church the 12-15 yr old kids used Elias for collecting money.
The put a paper on his tshirt
10 pesos=hug

20 pesos= hug and kiss

in 1 hr they raised 1500 enough for what they needed (play gotcha)

Erin said...

I definitely think the "rubbing Ava's head" is a cute idea. You may want to look into "A Visit to the Urban Funny Farm" or something like that, too. What a cool little school. Do they have a website? Sounds like I would move to Tulsa after graduation!

Charissa said...

Cute, Alicia. Erin, I posted a link, just click on The Little Lighthouse and it should take you there. Definitely check it out. It is one of my favorite places ever!

Milena said...

How wonderful that there's such a good school for Ava!

And I love the last picture of the white cat. Yes, I'm a "cat person" :-)

Molly said...

We've know the Mitchell family for years and love them dearly. My sister used to volunteer at the LLH as an interpreter. What a blessing that Ava gets to be in such a wonderful place.

I think that is a wonderful idea about Ava's head! I love your humor.

That picture of Hope is priceless. And my boys are going to love the pictures of the cat and mouse!

Julie said...

It sounds like you are going to have a very busy year! I hope that all of your kids adjust to school well.

I just had to tell you that David was sitting on my lap when I went to your blog this morning, and when Ava's picture came up, he nearly jumped off of my lap with excitement! He started signing "please" and pointing (which he seldom does) at Ava. He was saying all sorts of things (none of which I know what they were,lol) and I've never seen him react this way to a picture :) I told him he has good taste! Just wanted to share that.

Charissa said...

Aw, Julie, how sweet!! We are meeting our 3rd Reece's Rainbow family today, more details later. I always think we should have one big RR reunion. Wouldn't that be fabulous?

Cammie Heflin said...

Charissa these pix are awesome! Here is a link to Aiden's blog, he goes to Little Lighthouse too! http://www.aisforaiden.com/

RoverHaus said...

It's been too long and our whole family needs to see yours! When can we do it?

Say, a road trip to a cooler climate state this time of year might be nice? We can send you some gas cards and some audio books so you can get caught up on your reading.

Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I second the Visit to the Urban Funny Farm! My daughter Addie is 6 and would love to try her hand at fishing...lol

Stacy
Mannford, OK

Adeye said...

Big changes--probably easier for the kids than for mom :)
Aaahh---I absolutely love that picture of your sweet girl! Adorable.

Have a very blessed day, friend.

Larsen Family said...

Sounds like quite a busy year, but I know you can handle it. I pray that you receive all the funding you need for the Little Lighthouse, it sounds like a wonderful program.

Anonymous said...

Simeon is going into middle school ?? OMG that makes me feel verryyyy old. When do the kids start school up ? My friend Laura and I are talking about making a trip to Tulsa for fall break ! Her sister lives there, and I would LOVE to see you guys ! I miss ya'll. Tell Simeon, Liesel, Jude, Ava, and Hope that I say hello and that I love each one of them ! =]
Heather

Charissa said...

Heather, they start the 19th. Can you squeeze a trip in sometime between the 12th and 19th? We'd love to see you. Bring any boyfriends you have so Uncle John can grill them! ha

jennifer... said...

Wow.  Suddenly everyone wants to come see you or have you visit them.  WE sure have dropped the ball, haven't we?  I guess it's still not too late.  Anyway, seriously, I think you should follow thru with the t-shirt idea.  I would give whatever was in my wallet.

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

Your photography skills have gotten outstanding!!
Your pictures are beautiful and really "speak" to me!!!

Stephanie said...

Charissa, you're going to love the LLH. Aiden is a 3rd year student this year and we make the drive from Coweta. Hope to meet you on the first day of school!

Pan Cratius said...

I don't think Gideon is playing with a mouse. Looks more like a shrew. Maybe Gideon knew more than we thought.

Christina said...

oh, my homeschool buddy is no more! LOL Kidding of course, I am sure it was a hard but well thought out decision. We, for now, are going to continue on. I want to give it one more year. Fully thrown into co-ops and support group activities to see how it works. We'll see what the Lord has in store for us. But I am sure it will be good :) Praying that the transition from home to school setting goes well and I am SUPER jealous that you get to meet Stephanie(Aiden's mom)!!

Kelly said...

I would donate for a smile from that sweet girl!

I haven't Home schooled, but it is hard having the kids go in so many directions. This year, I am actually doing "less" schools. I will have 2 in highschool, 2 in middle school, one in 4th, and another in 3rd at a different school. And I am not sending Luke to preschool this year. So it is jsut he and I again for a while, as the girls wont be home till 2010 :(.