Saturday, August 22, 2009

Updates

Did I ever mention on here that the Russian Orphan Lighthouse trip was cancelled? Apparently there were some new travel regulations in certain regions of Russia due to swine flu that prohibited travel for the children in the orphanage, and they had to cancel the trip. We were all very disappointed, as I'm sure the Russian kids were. Otherwise tonight would have been the night a russian orphan would have flown in and spent 10 days with us. :( We hope to try again next time.

Just in the last 2 weeks or so, Ava has learned how to pull herself up to the tall kitchen table and cruise around it. This is good news and bad news. Good because it is one step closer to walking and bad because we can't set the table ahead of time (and we are now short a few dinner plates.) :) She has also learned how to crawl over to her walker, pull herself up into position, and just today she FINALLY learned how to lift and turn the walker when she runs into walls and objects. She is doing so great! I am really proud of her. She has come so far from that floppy little sack of potatoes we brought home 18 months ago.

Our floors are getting whiter and whiter every day. All the experts say this is a sign of moisture. Another guy from another concrete company came out and said there was no evidence that they even put sealer on, which might cause the moisture. The company has now stated they are going to take us to small claims court for the full payment of their "work". At first we worried a little bit, as we have never been in a position like this. But now, as weird as this may sound, I'm kind of excited about it. I can't wait to show the judge this picture:

Does it look like there is a ghost living in our house? Don't worry. There is no ghost. That is just the spot where John laid his shoes overnight. There are similar marks for the trash can.....

And where we set two glasses of water...

Can you see why I'm secretly looking forward to small claims court? If you are thinking about doing concrete work, I can tell you who NOT to use!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would have said, "Please do, I so want to show the judge pictures of your work". I would not pay 1 cent for that floor 'work'.

Sorry to hear about the Lighthouse project. That is a shame.

Way cool about Ava. She has come so far, in a very short time.

Jan

Larsen Family said...

I hope you get your opportunity to show those pics to the judge.

I can't believe how great Ava is doing. Although, I know it must keep you on your toes with that mobility, but it is amazing how far she has come.

Cammie Heflin said...

I can't believe they would even think they would win!

Tina said...

Great catching up tonight on your past few blog entries. Thanks for sharing! Sending love to you and your family, and will catch up soon. Keeping you all in our prayers, plus of course your court hearing (not that you should have a problem), the kids, school and taxi, plus everything else. God bless.

Julie said...

So sorry you were not able to have a Russian Orphan stay with you. I can tell you firsthand that it is a real blessing to participate in a hosting program.

Anonymous said...

I found out they put the sealer down on the surface before they put down the cement, because the cement acts as a sponge and soaks up what ever mostiure is near