Monday, October 4, 2010

We are finally starting to get into the groove of things. Homeschooling is going so much better now that we are in a routine. I wasn't sure at first but we are all really starting to enjoy our homeschool group, Classical Conversations. Every week each kid has to get up in front of their little class and do a speech or presentation of some kind. Public speaking is a huge fear of mine and literally something that I have had nightmares about. I can only see one person in our family being comfortable as a public speaker and that is Hope, so I am glad the rest of us are being forced to step out of our little comfort zones and learning to public-speak.

Today they were supposed to show how to do something, using visual aides. Simeon showed how to solve the Rubiks cube, which is always sure to impress any audience.


Jude wanted to show how to play the piano, but we decided that a piano was too big of a visual aide to carry with us. Instead he made Chex party mix and shared the recipe and a sampler bag with all his classmates.


Liesel taught how to write a computer program! Of course her dad taught her how to do this while they spent two weeks together in Ukraine. Here we've been trying to help her find her niche and we have been looking in all the wrong places! She was 'too embarrassed' to do ballet, too nice for sports. She loves music but doesn't like to show off. But her face lights up when she works on a computer! She was beaming and said, "Mom I think I'm going to grow up to be a nerd!" ha.

Anyway I'm not sure what to think about the fact that my kids now know more than I do about computers, music and sports, among other things.


Jude and Liesel are best buds. They want to start a band, for only our family to enjoy. Jude plays the piano and Liesel plays the guitar. They are so cute together, even playing duets and making up songs.

They are also planning to start an orphanage someday on 500 acres. They will have horses for the kids to ride, and music, and they will teach all the kids to decorate cakes. Jude will be the preacher and Liesel will be the teacher. :) I love to hear them talk about these kinds of things.


It was a beautiful weekend, so we went horseback riding. Zoya has been a few times,

But Joseph....experienced his first horseback ride.

I think he loved it.


And Ava did too, as always.



This morning as we were walking out the door Simeon asked me where Zoya was. I  said I didn't know.
He turned around and this is what I saw.

She started meowing.

I think I feel a  Halloween costume coming on......

16 comments:

Eleven and Heaven said...

Charissa I think this is one of my favorite posts of yours! It is awesome to know another homeschooling mom. Your children have so much love and talent in them.

junglemama said...

Julia loves to solve the Rubix cube! It is her fave new hobby!

Jaimie said...

That picture of Zoya and Simeon just about made my night!!! Too cute!!

Anonymous said...

Love all the neat things your kids do. Judson is wanting to learn to program. (He's a product to two NERDS) So Dad is looking into which software to purchase. (Or preferably download for free) Does John have any recommendations

Love Simeon and Zoya. The picture is great.

Jan

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of Zoya & Simeon! That's adorable.

Have you looked into getting your little ones into a therapeutic riding program? If they like being around the horses, it's an incredible way to gain muscle tone, exercise and confidence.

M.D.

Good Goats said...

Charissa, that is too funny with Zoya in the backpack! That is a great picture. . .

kirsten said...

I love your family, Charissa.

Tina Koen said...

Your family and life is so cool. I know that it may not seems like that most of the time, but you sure know how to give your kids opportunities to grow, learn and love. Can't wait to see you.

Justine said...

I LOVE THIS POST! You have great kids and you are a great mom! I especially love Liesel's comment about being a nerd.

Anonymous said...

Hi kids,
This was an awesome post. Really enjoyed the photos....and all the things the kids are doing. Love the photo of Simeon and Zoya....how precious. I hope someday Jude and Leisel do have that 500 acre orphanage. Dreams do come true!
Love you all
Aunt Sharon

Qadoshyah said...

Such great pics!

My mom tried to stay up to speed with what I was learning when I was in junior high/beginning high school and then she gave up. When I got to a certain point in studying genetics, she said, that's fine, go ahead and learn it, I can't keep up anymore, LOL. But, that's one of the great things about homeschooling :)!

KT said...

How fun is your house?!! I am also really falling in love with homeschooling, which I was worried I would dread! Glad to see things are falling into place some. There is a chance the kids and I will be driving through OK right around the end of Oct, early Nov, and thought Id see if you all will be around and up for company! If not, I totally understand, just thought Id check and see! Take care! KT

Anonymous said...

I could never homeschool. I just don't have the patience!
Zoya in the back pack? HILARIOUS! Too cute for words :)

Jo's Corner said...

You have THE cutest kids ever!! The backpack photo IS funny, but I LOVE the photo of Hope & Zoya on the horse! How precious is your Hope with her PINK TuTu, one PINk boot and one Black boot? So Darling! I wanna come live at your house! Hugs to All of the Urban family! JO

Robin said...

I just fell in love with your family all over again.

David and Carolyn said...

I just found you blog through Raising Imbodens blog. Love It. I can totally relate as a homeschooling mom. Keep up the great work in your beautiful family.
Carolyn
http://hebrewselevevone.blogspot.com/