Wednesday, October 13, 2010

While we were eating....

Some have asked why we would adopt when we already had our hands full? And why would we adopt special needs when there are healthy ones available? And why do we go overseas when there are children in U.S. foster care that are available for adoption?

This poem and these videos say it all. Thanks to Meredith for allowing me to copy it.

While we were eating…
… they were hungry
While we were playing…
… they were restrained
While we were tucking our kids into bed…
… they were alone
While we turned up the heat…
… they laid in the icy cold
While we wrapped our children in blanket sleepers…
… they laid in their own excrement
While we sang songs and listened to music…
… they listened to the screams and cries of those around them
While we rocked our babies…
… they silently rocked themselves
While we hugged our kids…
… they scratched at their own faces and pulled their own hair for stimulation
While we cried over scraped knees…
… they moaned in their loneliness
While we brushed our daughters’ beautiful hair…
… they had their heads shaven to stave off the lice
While we fought off the flu with love and nourishment…
… they got the flu and went Home.
No longer suffering… but so many more still are.
In memory of those that have never felt the love of a family, but have passed away alone.

By: Meredith Cornish









For those who don't think adoption is a rescue mission, think again.

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I am copying this...hope that's okay. Well said. All of it. So true.

Shelly said...

That was very hard to watch.... God Bless you and John for being such strong loving people, and bringing 3 beautiful children home! :)

Mary said...

Charissa,
That did it. I think we will announce soon! God Bless you!

Mary

Qadoshyah said...

I don't know if I've watched all of those videos, but I know I watched the whole 20 minute episode of Serbia's mental institutions some time ago. My sister & I were in tears at the end and I don't know if I could watch it again. I've passed it a long to friends to watch though, so they can see for themselves.

It's truly horrific and so sad. That's why, whenever we are able to adopt some day (Lord willing), I want to adopt the kiddos who are older, tiny & frail. I know adoption works miracles and I know those kiddos can be harder to find homes for :(.

kirsten said...

Charissa...Im ashamed to say I wasn't brave enough to even watch. So thankful that Ava, Zoya and Joseph are w/ you.