Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love is....

We aren't really big on Valentine's celebrations around here. I would say something profound like it is because we celebrate love year round, but truth be told:
A. I am cheap 
B. I like to keep everybody's expectations nice and realistic. 
C. Holiday celebrations can be a lot of work.

John is definitely more romantic and sentimental about these things than I am, as evidenced by the way he used to do a fabulous job of gift buying until he found some of his great efforts in the Goodwill basket one day a few years ago.
There is one particular moment in my life that I will always think of as the definition of love; a perfect representation of the Heavenly Father's love for us. And that was the moment, years ago,  that I was sick with fever and flu. We were newly-wed at the time, maybe we had Simeon, I don't remember. And John was making me soup and bringing me cold rags for my forehead. And when I reached up to touch his face, it occurred to me that he was flushed. Then I realized his skin was hotter than mine. Three degrees hotter, to be exact. He had the flu too, and was just as miserable if not more. But he never told me. Because he loved me and wanted to take care of me. No matter how bad he felt. It was a sacrifice of love.

I remember that a lot, because there are many moments like that, when I don't feel like getting up in the night to clean up barf, when I don't feel like cooking or changing a diaper, when I would rather send the kids off to play in another room than sit down and read with them, or when it's easier to bake the cookies myself than to let little clumsy toddler hands help me out. John has been a very good example to me and to our family of what love looks like.

Did I ever tell you how we met? We met on a blind date that neither of us wanted to go on. His roommate asked my roommate out back in April of 1994. They thought their first date would be less awkward if they made it a double. Problem is they couldn't find anyone to go with them, including us! I can't tell you how much I did NOT want to go on that date! But because they couldn't find anyone else, we both finally agreed to go. But just this once. ha! Two days later he called me and asked me on a real date. Just the two of us. Six months later we were engaged and a year later married! Sweet memories! 

Today I was reminiscing about how we used to take naps on Sunday afternoons and how much I missed those days. Immediately John said he had to go get the oil changed and that he was taking everybody with him. He left me home ALONE so I could enjoy a box of chocolates all to myself. And a nice long nap.  Now don't you see why I love him so?

Happy Valentine's Day to all. What does love look like to you, and how will you be celebrating?

9 comments:

JennyH said...

What a wonderful husband you have!! We don't go all out for Valentines day either.

Hope your family has a great one.

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!
I have tears in my eyes.
What a beautiful post....who needs cheesy ol Valentine's Day when you have love like that?

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

And Valentine's IS cheesy by the way. LOL

Anonymous said...

What a man!!! So sweet.

Jan

The McEacherns said...

Today's celebration has so far included one load of laundry, a TB test for our dossier medical forms, and a trip to the grocery store. Romantic, huh? But I got a few loving snuggles from Isabel, so that was nice!

MoonDog said...

I love hearing your love stories about you and John. it is just not something you see anymore. I love that he loves you so well. you deserve it. and he so deserves a devoted loving wife like you. I am super cheap too, I bought kids school valentines last year the day AFTER valentines for about 30 cents a box. I really do feel loved all year long. sometimes there is a surprise on this day. sometimes not. I dont mind either way. For me love is snuggling up together after the kids are all in bed and having a quiet moment together to just read and be close. Im a simple girl. happy valentines day Charissa. I hope you know how much we love you!

Charissa said...

Wow! So nice. You are right about true love.

Deb D. said...

What sweet stories you shared. It is a joy to hear of demonstrations of love and respect, and "surprised" love. Yay John and Charrisa!

Anonymous said...

That, dear Charissa, is one of the most beautiful Valentine's stories I've heard. John is still the wonderful man of your dreams. And, I'll bet he could write an elaborate story about your love, too. It's easy to see..you two are the expression of love.
Love
Aunt Sharon