Friday, February 5, 2010

TWO years....

Ava has had a growing week! She is getting around on her feet like you wouldn't believe! I'll have to post another video here soon. Two nights ago she fell on a chair and busted her two bottom front teeth, one ended up coming all the way out and the other is barely hanging by a thread. What cute and interesting combination of characteristics she has: loose teeth, learning to walk, no hair. She is growing up right before our eyes. Normally the kids losing their first teeth always makes me feel a little sad and nostalgic, I guess it confirms that they are losing their babyness and growing into adultness. (I'm sure neither babyness or adultness are actual words). I'm glad to have a child with Down Syndrome in our family, because that technically means I will never have to suffer empty nest syndrome.

Can you believe it's been TWO YEARS since she joined our family??

She had a rare fever last weekend, and I have to say, I was impressed by the fact that she kept asking for 'mama' and crawling up on my lap for comfort. There was a day that I didn't think that would ever happen. When she came to us, I remember thinking she was more like a zombie than a child, totally oblivious to her surroundings, hypersensitive to touch, and certainly not in tune to her family members' attempts at loving her.

And now, if you could just see how she snuggles and how she beams when her daddy walks in the door. I want to tell you that she looks at books and picture albums, and she points and she names the names she knows. "Cow", "Swing", "School", "Dad", and when she sees a picture of her she points to herself and grins so big. What a joy she has been to us!! Ok, the tears are starting to come. Truly, truly, I am so glad we said yes to that little mangy puppy of a little girl we met two years ago.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read this I was thinking back on how we could not wait to get any updates as you travelled to bring her home. I always said you guys rescued her for a reason and God brought her to the perfect family. You guys are amazing. We miss you and can't wait to hang out with you when we next see you.
Frikkie

amyl4 said...

Wow, has it been 2 years??!! Ava sure has changed, I remember the first picture I saw of her, a tiny little thing laying in her crib. She has truly blossomed in the love of your family. I know what you mean about the baby teeth coming out, it is a little sad to think that they are growing up so quickly.
Amy

Kelly said...

Ava is jsut such a beautiful girl. Her light just shines in each photo and story! :)

You know, what led me to fighting so hard to get my husband to say yes to Yana was teh fact that she was older and lower functioning and most likely will never "Leave the nest". I had previously been pryaing to God to take away my desire "to be a mom again" as I knew again would never be enough. I never wanted to be w/o a child in my home. EVER! And He showed me, through Yana, was that exact desire was so overpowering in my heart! I needed it for Yana! :)

Mamapierce said...

She is so adorable. I absolutely love the picture of Ava on the sidebar. Thanks for sharing your life with Ava with all of us.

thedickinsonfamily said...

I haven't known you for 2 years yet but I'm glad to know you. We were so excited to meet Miss Ava last summer. She is a real jewel. She gave Marcus a run for his money. They are two peas in a pod. You are blessed to have her and she is more than blessed to call you mommy.
Blessings,
Meghan

Bethany said...

I remember your adoption so clearly ... I know I've said this before, but the emotions you were experiencing when I just wanted you to love that baby girl. And you did. Haha - I know it was an easy thing for all of us to say from the outside, right? But nothing could have gone more perfectly! And perfect she is!

kirsten said...

Looks like many of us have super fond memories of your adopting Ava, and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching her grow through your blog...the entire Donohue clan loves her sweet face and watching her improvements!!!

jennifer... said...

Wow. I'm thinking back to when she couldn't (or wouldn't) hold anything and would only drink from a bottle. But seeing her hold a pencil and eat regular food is incredible! And I LOVE seeing her stand next to Leisel waiting to ride the horse!!

Carson's Mom said...

I am so glad you said yes too. I have enjoyed following along and watching how she has blossomed in your family. All of you will be better people for welcoming Ava into your hearts and family -from the things that you have learned from each other.

Kayla

Justine said...

An inspiration! Thank you!!!

Maria and Family said...

She is just so cute!! I love how she has blossomed with love and her very own family. I look at katie and corina and my heart breaks for them. Maybe they will have a happy forever after too :)