Ava is doing so well with chewing and swallowing that I have been trying out some new textures and foods. For example, recently she has eaten chicken salad, pizza, raisins, soft granola bars, well, and spaghetti.
Today I gave her a peanut butter sandwich, which I have done at least twice before without any problems. Today, however, she kept cramming bites in her mouth. I thought she was swallowing them but apparently they were all accumulating in the back of her throat and on the roof of her mouth. I had quite a bit of a scare when she stopped breathing and turned blue. Thankfully I was able to reach back and swipe the big wad of sandwich out on the first attempt but it was a disturbing experience. I was glad John wasn't there because he doesn't do well with these things.
I know grapes and hot dogs are choking hazards, and marbles and Legos, and Polly Pockets, and all the other little items that seem to make their way onto my floor and into Ava's mouth consistently.......(Are batteries choking hazards?).....but I never would have expected a peanut butter sandwich to be one!
So are there some kind of guidelines for what to feed your kids with DS and when? We have had a problem/miscommunication with our insurance (LONG story) and Ava has not qualified for speech therapy for the past several weeks, thus I haven't been able to ask the speech therapist. However I figured somebody who reads this might have some wisdom to share with me.....Please?