Friday, September 19, 2008

Buddy Walk is coming....

I have never been big on fundraisers. When we HAD to raise money for the kids' soccer teams one year, I stayed in the car and hid while I sent my kids door to door.

But this one is different; The Buddy Walk happens in Tulsa (and all over the nation) every October. People with Down Sydrome large and small, young and old, and their friends and families, come from all over to walk and raise money for Down Syndrome support and awareness. It is certainly a sight to behold.

Did you know that 90% of babies who are diagnosed in utero with Down Syndrome.....are aborted????? And the number is expected to go up as new "advancements" are made to prenatally diagnose chromosomal abnormalities and other birth defects . How tragic.

Our family will be walking the Buddy Walk this October 19. I hope you will join me in getting the word out, that people with Down Syndrome have potential and have value.

I put a button on the right of my blog if you would like to donate through FirstGiving. If I can raise more than $50, I will get a drawstring "goody bag". And if I raise more than $100, I get a coffee mug. Over $250 will get me a stocking cap. I really want that stocking cap!!!!

Here we are last year, Ava was still laying in a crib in Ukraine when this photo was taken (See her picture pinned to our shirts?). This year she'll get to "walk" with us, in a stroller, that is. Maybe next year she will actually be walking it!! Wouldn't that be something?

8 comments:

Robin said...

I put this up on my journal too! We'll spread the word!

Michelle said...

I bet next year she is walking, running even! "Miss Chief" is in charge! Enjoy the Buddy Walk!

jennifer... said...

How much do you have to raise to get the model sailing ship?

Christina said...

That is so cool that you walked it last year! I am so excited to see your picture with Ava there this year! We will be walking the same day as you, just a few states away! LOL Good luck with your fundraising!

WheresMyAngels said...

I love that pic from last year. I have never done a Buddy Walk yet. If only it came at a better time for us.

kirsten said...

I am sure Ava will be walking w/ you! (especially if you put a mirror in front of her:)).....I just thought that was precious! She can see herself, recognize herself! Love watching her discover things...keep up the good work Urbans!

Qadoshyah said...

Aww, that will be great to walk with Ava this year!

Where can I get info about the Buddy Walk in Tulsa? We're new to the area, so maybe we can come on up to the Buddy Walk :). It would be fun :).

~ Qadoshyah
qf@gotdownsyndrome.net

Alice said...

I read your article about the Buddy Walk and decided to check on when ours would be, but I forgot. The next night I dreamed I was playing with your little Ava in our church nursery. In the dream she gave me a big wet kiss on my cheek.:) I woke up and looked up the Buddy Walk first thing. It is this coming weekend! I am so excited! We are gonna borrow your idea and wear pictures of Andres. Thanks for posting about it.