Monday, September 8, 2008

Short bangs and an itchy tag

Last week during the craziness of moving, Hope came to me, asking me to pull out her hair clip that she had tangled in her bangs. I was SO busy, and really trying to encourage more independence in my children lately, so I told her to work on it for a little while and come get me again if she still couldn't get it.

Well she worked on it alright. With a pair of scissors. I happened to have my camera right beside me in the kitchen when she came out with such a sad face to show me what she had done. She was devastated!
She had been trying to grow her hair out "long like a princess". We had been growing her bangs out for months. I was so proud of her brother Simeon who picked her right up and comforted her, telling her she still looked beautiful.
But even dressed up like a princess, she didn't think so.......
So off to the haircut place we went. And look who went along for moral support.

And here she is, with bangs, with two of her cousins, Christi and Heather. (By the way, she is wearing her dress inside out on purpose. Her tag was itchy. I'd say that was a pretty clever solution to the problem.)
And while I'm blogging about Hope, I'll add one more story. We were driving back home from Pa-paw's funeral yesterday, and we pulled over to look for John's cell phone. We could hear it buzzing somewhere under the piles of blankets and pillows but couldn't find it. So we pulled over to the side of the road and had all the kids get out of their seatbelts looking under seats for it. Just then we noticed a police car behind us and an officer approaching the vehicle. For a second we worried maybe we were inadvertently speeding or maybe our tags were expired. But no, he was just making sure everything was alright. So as he said good-bye, Hope yelled out the window, "Good-bye Mr. Potato Head!!!"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

She still looks cute to me; bangs or no bangs.

Jester 6 said...

Oh, you know my husband will love that last comment! :)

jennifer... said...

Charissa, there are tears in my eyes with an uncontrolable laughs right now!  Mr. Potato Head!!  I cant' even hardly type!

Jester 6 said...

Okay, my husband came home and the first thing I did was read Hope's comment.

He laughed. He said he's been called a lot of things, but never Mr. Potato Head!!!

Mary Beth said...

My question is which seat John's cell phone in and who found it?

Cammie Heflin said...

You tell hope that she is gorgeous just like her sisters and mommy!

Michelle said...

Hope, you look like a pretty princess with your beautiful bangs! Charissa, glad everyone is home safe and sound.

The Gross Family said...

Same here with the tears and then laughing. So cute. I love children! They are so amazing!

Melissa

June Berger said...

Can I even imagine where Mr. Potato Head came from?? She's too cute, with and without bangs and an inside out dress!

WheresMyAngels said...

I'm laughins so hard at that last comment. I'm so glad I was going thru post I had missed. Now that is something Cheyenne would of done when she was little with both the hair cutting and the name calling. Cheyenne cut her hair off TWICE a week before dance recital pictures! Yes two different times, right before the pictures!