Friday, September 5, 2008

Saying Good-Bye


We got a phone call Tuesday evening that caused us to quickly throw a bunch of stuff in a giant duffle bag, put the kids in the car, and make the 8-hour drive all night to Clovis, New Mexico. My father-in-law, who has been battling lung cancer off and on for four years, had taken a turn for the worse and had to be rushed to the hospital. The doctor gave him no hope; the cancer had taken over his whole body. He was told he would live maybe 3 weeks, maybe 3 months. We wanted to come and say our good-byes while he was still coherent and alert.

Unfortunately we didn't make it in time. We were about 15 minutes too late. We are thankful that we knew Pa-paw loved us and he knew we loved him. We just wish we could have had the chance to say it one more time.

We have spent the last few days with family, celebrating Pa-paw's life and mourning his death. I never realized what a sweet sight it was to see him sitting in his easy chair with his iced tea in one hand and his remote in the other....usually watching the weather channel. The living room sure seems empty without him there. I wish he could have read this news article about himself, and I wish he could have known about the surprise tribute that was planned for him on the first home high school football game in a couple of weeks. He was truly loved and will be missed greatly. We love you, Pa-paw.

25 comments:

Jaimie said...

He sounds like he was a wonderful man, I'm sorry for your loss.

Jaimie

Jester 6 said...

I think the news article goes to show why you have such a wonderful husband. It sounds like he had a great example!

Beth said...

So sorry to hear of your father-in-law's passing. My prayers are with your family.

Deb D. said...

I am so sorry for your substantial loss. My father passed away last year, also at age 71. It is a life-changing event. I pray you'll see and experience God's grace and tenderness as much as we did in that time. He is faithful.

datri said...

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Michelle said...

Charissa - We are praying for your whole family. What a remarkable man and legacy he leaves behind. He is safe in God's hands now, and for that we are so grateful. How wonderful that your husband John is his father's namesake :o) We'll be thinking of you all.

Love,
Michelle (RR)

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Charissa.
~Lisa

Cammie Heflin said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, I lost my dad to cancer, I will be praying for your family.

Carson's Mom said...

I am sorry for your loss and that you didn't make it. But, one great thing about being a Christian is knowing that you will be together again one day. Unfortunately even that knowledge doesn't make you miss them any less.

Kayla

4 princesses & then 1 prince said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing a little about him; he sounds like a wonderful man. Your family will stay in our prayers.

Shea said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss

Susan said...

Your family, especially your husband, will be in my prayers. What a blessing to have had such a wonderful father, father-in-law, and grandfather....

Thinking of you,
Susan

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. We will be praying for you, John, and the kids.

Sean and Lisa said...

I am sorry. Praying God's peace and comfort over your entire family.

June Berger said...

I am sorry for all of your loss. How blessed you all were to have him in your life. I have no doubt he will be missed by many, as is evidenced by the news article. Praying peace for you all.

WheresMyAngels said...

Oh I am so sorry you didn't get to say your final goodbyes. I know how hard that is.

My prayers will be with you and your family.

amyl4 said...

I'm so sorry for your loss,
Amy

orphans4me said...

Charissa, I am so sorry for your loss and that you didn't get to say your last good-byes. He sounds like a wonderful man.

And I didn't realize you were moving!! Your new place looks great and sounds so peaceful.
Joy,RR

Melissa Mc said...

I am so sorry to hear that.

THE CAMPBELL FAMILY said...

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. JODY

junglemama said...

I'm sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

absees123s said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad three years ago and I know the pain that comes with losing such a wonderful person in your life. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Zack, Jenn and William said...

So sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Praying for you guys.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Charissa. There really are no words at a time like this, but the peace that passes understanding guards your hearts and minds. I pray for comfort for the whole family.

Justine